The website rank in organic search results can be improved with the help of targeted traffic towards the website. This traffic can be generated with the help of off-page SEO; more specifically, the Link-Building. Link-Building covers most part of the off-page SEO because it is the very technique that brings inbound traffic to the website from other websites of some authority.
A few years back, the link-building, even with unnatural methods, used to get the websites rank improved. Now, however, Google has become intelligent enough to differentiate between organic and unnatural patterns of incoming internet traffic towards a website. For a little elaboration, it would be worth mentioning the factors which make a link bad for SEO.
1. The authority of your website can be improved if it receives incoming traffic from trustworthy and good authority websites. However, if you are posting your website link in low authority websites of bad online reputation, you will, soon, see your website getting demoted due the kind of incoming traffic it will get.
2. If your website is related to information about interior decoration and you are posting its link in the website that has information about auto parts, it’s the most awkward connection you are creating between the source and the target of internet traffic. The continuously tweaked Google’s algorithm is now smart enough to spot the contextual differences between the websites and then hit the culprits with penalty.
3. A few links at high authority websites, pointing at your website, give a good impression but if you are posting too many links in one domain, there is big chance that Google will find this suspicious activity and place a ban on your website. You should know that value of a link decreases every time when it is posted in same domain.
4. Reciprocal link building was, once, an ideal way to get your website ranked well in SERPs but now it’s really a bad idea to follow this approach. Google’s Algorithms are now fully aware that this give-and-take method can only be related to a planned link-building approach rather than the organic one.
5. Overly optimized anchor text and creating too many links to your website using specific keywords are the sufficient reasons for Google to ban your website. Although, this technique have had its use in link-building to rank any website but now it is entirely obsolete.
If your strategy of link-building involves any of the above mentioned techniques, you will soon witness your website falling in the bottom of SERPs.